Friday, March 3, 2017

#FlashBackFriday

I don't know about anyone else, but every so often I like to get out my old year books and chuckle with my friends about our hair, clothes, and antics in high school. The fun part of it? You guessed it - it's pretty embarrassing.

I started thinking, about a psychology blog I recently read that talked about overcoming embarrassment, and decided to really own this past me. Every Friday, we will "flash back" to my most awkward high school days and all get a good laugh at just how truly awkward I was.... am? Always will be? Whatever.

To start us off, we are going back to my sophomore year. Picture it: I'm getting ready for school, waiting for my ride. We had just moved into a new house, and my family was out of town. Besides our beds, furniture was not there, so I had a big wide open living room with a picture window and my cd player.

Image result for sliding into room in underwear I was getting dressed, and dancing around the living room. In my underwear. Think Tom Cruise in Risky Business.

**Key point** This is before cell phones were owned by every high school student ever.

So there I am, dancing around and putting my pants on (why was I getting dressed in the living room? I really have no clue) and singing at the top of my lungs. I'm mid word, turn around to the large front picture window, and see my friends standing there laughing. Did I mention two of my guy friends gave me a ride every day? Yea. And there they were. I screamed and fall on the hardwood floors, and they laugh harder.

So, while we all may dance in our underwear, most of us are smart enough to do so in true privacy. Me, well, I never was much of a thinker. My father in law likes to say that at least I'm pretty. Someday you'll see he means that kindly, because I just do some dumb stuff.

I do have to share I think my favorite part of this story. Last week as I was looking for inspiration, I ask one of those guys giving me a ride that day something embarrassing I'd done because I was stumped for inspiration. All he said was, "remember that time we picked you up and you were singing at the top of your lungs?"

Yea, Ryan. Yea. I remember.

As we continue to go back in my time, I will be trying to look at stories that I remember being embarrassing, but I also intend to get out my old high school journals. From there, I will push back my natural instinct to burn them and never look at them again, and I will read the awkward teenage angst filled memoires of my former life. And I will find those noteworthy moments that I never wanted to relive, and relive them with you. We're all in this together, right?

So make me feel better, what's something that you remember in high school that was just so mortifying? Did you think you would never get past it, or were you already learning to laugh at yourself?

No comments:

Post a Comment