Thursday, February 23, 2017

Be Yourself...Even When You Wish You Weren't

Do you ever have those moments where you are purely, 100% you. Like, you say something that pops into your head without really thinking about it - surprising even yourself?

I do that a lot. Less than I used to, but every now and then I stand out more than I wish I did, and I become a rubber duck among a group of swans; awkward, juvenile, and not at all elegant.

A while back, I was driving through town with some friends, and we were at a stoplight. As we are sitting there, a man all of a sudden took off in front of me to cross the street. He was really putting some effort in, just sprinting trying to get to the other side of this large street before the light changed.

I had a flashback to my awkward high school self, and felt that he needed congratulated on crossing the street in time. I rolled down my window and shouted "Woooo! Way to go you made it!"

WHAT? WHY DID I DO THAT? My good friend was in the back seat, and she just looked at me as if to say, "Really? What is wrong with you?" And I had to agree.

Sometimes I wish that I slowed down and really thought a little before I open my mouth. This usually happens when I am very comfortable in my surroundings, or I've had a glass or two too much wine. So I was there again, realizing I should have probably slowed down and not been so weird. But it's too late to turn back now. So I just laughed and said I thought he needed some encouragement.

Let's make it fun. Share a time you said something, and immediately just realized that it was the most ridiculous thing you could have said. Let's all laugh a little.

1 comment:

  1. You never know the positive impact you could have on someone. Maybe your gut instinct that he needed affirmation was dead-on. The older I get, the more trust I have in my first impressions.

    The worst that can happen is now you have a funny story to share with all of us. If that's the greatest consequence, maybe following impulses is worth the risk.

    ReplyDelete